Transport Minister Chris Hipkins says the nation’s car system could be at risk of cyberattacks.
He says the Federal Government has identified more than 500 cyber vulnerabilities and that he believes the Australian Government is taking steps to protect its system.
“The Government is actively engaging with cyber security experts, industry stakeholders, and the broader community to address this issue,” he said in a statement.
Mr Hipkins said the Federal Department of Defence had been providing advice on the threat level and cyber threat level.
In the statement, Mr Hipkins added that a review into the nations car transport sector was under way and he expected to announce more details later this year.
The Federal Government is looking at all avenues to mitigate the risk, Mr HIPkins said.
Last month, Mr Hartzell, the chairman of the Federal Motor Transport Safety Authority, warned that a cyberattack could be a major problem for Australia’s transport infrastructure.
But Mr Hipks told reporters on Thursday that he had no concerns about the Government being hacked.
Read more about cyber security here.
A cyber attack would be “a huge risk for Australian industry, for the people of Australia, for all of us who depend on it, Mr Horne said.”
We’re going to be doing everything we can to mitigate it.
“”We’ve got to get a good picture of the threat that’s out there, how much damage can be done and the extent of it and how we can take it down.
“Mr Horne also said he expected the Federal government to announce a national cybersecurity strategy in the coming weeks.